Claremont Graduate University’s online Master’s in Evaluation & Applied Research—designed with the acclaimed Claremont Evaluation Center (CEC)—was created to help you build your evaluation and research expertise, and empower you to make a meaningful impact. You’ll work to craft a wide range of international development, education, health, well-being and positive psychology initiatives. In line with competencies set by the largest network of professional evaluators in the country, the American Evaluation Association (AEA), the Master’s in Evaluation & Applied Research will prepare you for a rewarding career in applied research and evaluation with a foundation in state-of-the-art scientific knowledge and mixed-method approaches for creating positive social change.
- The Professional Practice: Learn what makes evaluators and applied researchers distinct as practicing professionals.
- The Methodology: Develop an in-depth understanding of evidence-based systematic inquiry for valued purposes.
- The Context: Understand the unique circumstances, multiple perspectives, and changing settings of evaluation and applied research and their users/stakeholders.
- The Planning & Management: Focus on determining and monitoring work plans, timelines, resources, and other components needed to complete and deliver an evaluation or applied research study.
- The Interpersonal: Develop an understanding of the human relations and social interactions that ground evaluators’ and applied researchers’ effectiveness for professional practice.
Who Should Apply
- Individuals who are seeking skills to improve decisions, programs, and policies in a wide variety of settings, including: Education, Community and Global Health, Mental Health, Well-being and Positive Psychology.
- Professionals seeking a national or international applied research and evaluation career.
At a Glance
- Develop appropriate set of competencies for each student to empower them to thrive in an applied research and evaluation career.
- Gain extensive practical experience using a wide variety of evaluation approaches and state-of-the art applied research and evaluation methodologies.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the ethical and political issues related to applied research and evaluation practices.
- Graduates become part of the largest network of evaluators and applied researchers in the world.
Stewart I. Donaldson, PhD
- Professor of Psychology and Community & Global Health, Executive Director of Claremont Evaluation Center, and Director of The Evaluators' Institute (TEI)
Professor Donaldson is responsible for dramatically expanding the portfolio of evaluation and applied research programs at CGU. Many of his evaluation and applied research students work with him on projects as part of the Claremont Evaluation Center and as part of Professor Donaldson’s Theory-Driven Evaluation Science Lab.
Tarek Azzam, PhD
- Associate Professor of Evaluation and Applied Methods
Professor Azzam is an associate professor at the Division of Behavioral & Organizational Sciences at Claremont Graduate University. His research focuses on developing new methods suited for real-world evaluations, attempting to address some of the logistical, political, and technical challenges that evaluators commonly face in practice.
About the School of Social Science, Policy & Evaluation (SSSPE)
Claremont Graduate University’s School of Social Science, Policy & Evaluation (SSSPE) comprises both the Division of Behavioral & Organizational Sciences (DBOS) and the Division of Politics & Economics (DPE). As an SSSPE student, you will develop a strong understanding of theoretical frameworks and advanced research methodologies while developing the skills to transform theory into practice. Focusing on turning concepts into action, you will emerge prepared to address today’s pressing issues in education, politics, healthcare, and applied organizational development.
The Division of Behavioral & Organizational Sciences is closely affiliated with the Claremont Evaluation Center (CEC). Helping guide CGU’s wide range of professional evaluation services, professional development training, and programs in evaluation and applied research methods, the internationally renowned CEC is home to many of the most respected scholars and practitioners in the field of evaluation.
In addition to the online Master’s in Evaluation & Applied Research program, SSSPE offers a wide range of certificate, master’s, and doctoral programs on-campus. Learn more about the School of Social Science, Policy & Evaluation here.
Explore the Mission of Organizational Assessment and Evaluation
Sep 17, 2018
To succeed, businesses must adapt and adopt necessary changes. Learn more about this process and how a Master’s in Evaluation and Applied Research can help.